Methoxy propyl acetate, also known as propylene glycol monomethyl ether acetate, is a clear, colorless liquid with a mild ether-like odor. It is only slightly soluble in water but miscible with most common organic solvents. Methoxy propyl acetate is slightly hygroscopic, relatively fast evaporating and has a low viscosity. It enters into reactions which are characteristic of both esters and ethers, displaying their good solvent power.
Methoxy propyl acetate is produced by reacting propylene oxide with methanol using a catalyst.
Synonyms: CAS No. 108-65-6, Propylene glycol methyl ether acetate, PMA, PGMEA, 2-Methoxy-1-methylethyl acetate, 1-Methoxy-2-acetoxypropane, 1-Methoxy-2-propanol acetate, 1-Methoxy -2-propyl acetate, 1-Methoxy-2-acetoxypropane, 2-Acetoxy-1-methoxypropane, 2-Methoxy-1-methylethyl acetate, Methoxypropylacetate, PMA glycol ether acetate
Applications of Methoxy Propyl Acetate (Propylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether Acetate)
The main applications of methoxy propyl acetate are in coatings and printing inks, where it is frequently used as an alternative to ethoxyethyl acetate. It is used as a carrier solvent for resins and inks that are incompatible with water such as acrylics, epoxies, alkyds and polyesters.
Methoxy propyl acetate is formulated into a great many other industrial and commercial products such as paints, lacquers, varnishes, cleaners, ink removers, pesticides, adhesives, dyes for furniture polishes, wood stains, leather and textiles, and also as a binder for core sands in foundries.
Storage and Handling
Methoxy propyl acetate and its vapors are combustible. It should be stored in a cool, well-ventilated place away from sources of ignition and isolated from incompatible materials such as oxidizing agents.
Methoxy propyl acetate may cause painful eye irritation and corneal injury. Repeated or prolonged contact with the skin in very large amounts may cause localized irritation, and in some severe cases may cause drowsiness or dizziness. High or repeated exposure via inhalation may lead to adverse effects to the nasal passages, liver and kidneys. Unnecessary exposure should be prevented by appropriate work practices and engineering controls, adequate ventilation and by the use of approved personal protective equipment including gloves, clothing and safety goggles and the use of respirators where appropriate to the task being carried out.